Saturday, September 11, 2010

Incompetent Terrorists?


Nine years ago today my wife was 5 blocks from the towers when they fell. And, as I've mentioned before on this blog, I was on the phone with her and the line went dead while I watched the implosion live on TV. (Luckily, she called me back a minute later.)

At the time, I thought for sure there'd be another attack soon in NYC - even if Homeland Security was busy protecting laughable non-targets like the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.

Regardless of its inaccuracy, I still stand by that prediction.

But since we're back in NY now, and my wife takes a train and a subway to get to her job downtown, on this I try not to think about how extraordinarily prescient I am.

I do believe it will eventually be a subway attack. Those trains at rush hour are jammed. A bomb (nerve gas) or something would wreak genuine *terror* among the lumpen NY masses. Every tanned person (and there are a lot) with a backpack or briefcase on a train would arouse deep suspicion and fear; a lot of women and interior decorators would minimally never ride the subway again - if not move away altogether. Perhaps even some of those well-marbled municipal workers would even start walking to work?

Alright, that last supposition was a jest.

3 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

I can't imagine what that one minute was like.

But, still I snickered at "well-marbled."

CaptiousNut said...

She was just my *girlfriend* at the time.

Paul Mitchell said...

So, you started making a sandwich to eat while watching the game, amirite?