Thursday, August 13, 2009

Definitely See This One....And Ruminate Upon It



These last few months I've been re-watching all seasons of The Wire - as I've mentioned before.

Just this week, I was excited to discover Season 5 up on HBO OnDemand. Those were the only shows I'd yet to see.

The first couple of episodes really got me down. In fact I thought they near stunk. I was wondering if this show's final season was going to be as anti-climactic, as weak as the whimpering finales of those other once-great series: The Sopranos, Seinfeld, Falcon Crest, etc.

But it got much, much better and finished with quite the flourish. I stayed up late watching the final three episodes last night.

In this fifth season, the storylines added the element of Baltimore's foundering newspaper and its substantial, and distortive(!), effect on local politics and crime. In particular, I found the one copy editor (light-skinned guy) they cast to be absolutely phenomenal.

All I have to say, again, is that The Wire was a dramatic masterpiece. Future scholars will no doubt hold it up as one of the most remarkable, the most illuminating insights into our times. Will Durant certainly nailed it when he asserted that the best art was always *philosophy in garb*.

See my prior post - The Wire.

2 comments:

west coast tom. said...

Do you read the blog *slope of hope*? They use trendlines to predict prices. Well, recently the guy has been bemoaning his loss of...accuracy (for lack of a better word) in forecasting the ETF prices and it makes me wonder if he knows the math of them. Interesting, to me at least.

CaptiousNut said...

I knew the math, placed my bets, and lost.

I never foresaw a 50% retrace in the overall market. Would have given it less than a 5% chance....and placed the same bets.