Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's Our Turn

My son just asked me if I watched Bakugan when I was a kid.

I told him the show wasn't around back then. At that moment I realized I had the perfect opening to let loose an updated *uphill in the snow, both ways....everything cost a nickel* sob story:

CaptiousNut - We only had 8 channels on television....we could ONLY watch cartoons on Saturday morning....

PrinceC-Nut- Well what did you watch?

CaptiousNut - We watched Sesame Street; we watched Mister Rogers; we watched The Electric Company....

PrinceC-Nut - What's Mister Rogers?

Over to my laptop we went....



You see, due to the relative infancy of media back when I was a kid, I could easily brush off my father's tired tales of poverty and deprivation - and I did.

But now, thanks to the wonders of YouTube, I can shove the evidence of my hardscrabble beginnings right in my son's mug!

Next time....he very well may not ask.



To my eyes today, that show looks downright creepy. For punishment, modern day parents really could just limit their *spoiled rotten* kids to watching playlists of Fred Rogers.

After that, they can make their finicky, obese kids google images of starving African kids who aren't lucky enough to get 3 square, made-to-order, organic meals per day!

2 comments:

west coast tom. said...

you still watch seasame street now, don't you?!! HAHAAA. I am FUNNY.

CaptiousNut said...

I don't watch any children's shows.

Even in the rare event they are *on*....I avert my eyes.

Get yourself to a meeting!