Monday, June 15, 2009

Another Abusive, Self-Centered, Malpracticing Parent



He had climbed Mount Everest and Mount McKinley, won the respect of colleagues at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, and was known for his drive for excellence.

On Thursday, Dr. John Mislow and his climbing partner died while scaling Alaska's Mount McKinley after falling about 2,000 feet, the National Park Service said.

Mislow, 39, of Newton, and Dr. Andrew Swanson, 36, of Minneapolis, were roped together when they fell shortly before 2 p.m., the park service said in a statement.

Another climbing team saw them falling between 16,500 feet on the Messner Couloir and its base at 14,500 feet. The Messner Couloir is an hourglass-shaped snow gully with a 40- to 50-degree snow and ice slope that is sometimes used by advanced skiers, the park service said. It is rarely descended or ascended on foot.

Mislow and his wife have two children. "He loved being a dad," said Arthur L. Day, chairman of neurosurgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

"He was a terrific person, an inspiration. He had a great work ethic," Day added. "When he was your doctor, you knew he was going to be there with you day or night, completely committed."

Mislow was in the fifth year of a seven-year neurosurgery residency. He had a bachelor's degree from Princeton University and a Ph.D. and medical degree from the University of Chicago.

So, he was committed to his *patients* and his own thrill-seeking *self-amusement*....

....But not at all concerned about parental responsibility!

If you have kids, you're not only a Moron to dangle from 2,000 foot precipices, you're a full-blown jerk.

Full article is here.



Now, I've already touched upon this subject, AND received some caustic feedback, in - Unconscious Morons. Read the comments on that *thrill-seeker*.

And the subject also came up about 1.5 months ago with these married posts: Another Massachusetts Moron and Dumb Kid Versus Wild.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been to Tuckerman's Ravine and even skied it if you consider sliding on my forehead 3/4 of the ride down actually skiing. But i was 25 and had no kids and wife. I love my little girl to much to leave her fatherless at such a young age. I have friends that would consider these activities a normal way to enjoy life. I don't agree but who am I to tell them differently. These friends recently had a child so it will be interesting to see how they change their hobbies going forward. My condolencses to these families.
Kfell

Anonymous said...

I respectfully disagree. For people who love to climb, bungee jump, parachute, whatever, it is part of their life. People at my work think I take too many risks biking and skiing, but really, I would be killing myself slowly and miserably not to do those things. What kind of parent would I be if I was miserable all the time? Admittedly, I don't climb major peaks and ski down, nor do I do any insane MTB stuff, but still. Where do you draw the line? Is being an obsessed NE style tree skier too risky? No? Yes? If not, then at what point?

I am dying to go to Tuckerman's. Maybe next year. It is really not a dangerous place to ride as long as you only go as high as you are comfortable going and you are aware of the Avy risk.

As far as his judgment to climb a line that is not normally climbed? That is nonsensical. On the mountain though, sometimes the obvious line doesn't work and you have to go a different route.

Slow out.

CaptiousNut said...

Slow,

*Killing myself slowly*?

Hah! I thought my kids were MELODRAMATIC.

For an alternative thrill-seeking endeavor I recommend....I don't know....maybe trying carry a par-5 over water in two - with a brand new Pro V1 ($4 golf ball)!

Remember I am indicting a general mindset - not a particluar person or pastime.

Anonymous said...

Slow Out,

When hiking up Tuckerman's, remember to drink a lot of water. I was in much better shape then than now but my mistake was to purchase several stupid sports drinks instead of water. Apparently, the sugar in these drinks causes the body to dehydrate if it is all you drink for several hours under strenous excercise. I made it all the way to the top of tuckermans and when it came time to put my skis on, my legs were incapable of bending with severe cramps. I sat at the top of the ravine for 2 hours drinking as much water from passerbys as possible but my condition only slightly improved. I attempted it as it was the only way except to call in a helicopter. I may have set the record for slowest ascent until my legs locked up and I fell forward but not out of control and went the rest of my way letting my bald head act as a snow plow. I also had to walk the rest of the way down instead of skiing all the way to the parking lot. It was a pretty scary moment in my life and I have never been back.
I agree with living your life though. Driving on the everett turnpike with massholes everyday for work can be just as dangerous. But it is a necessary risk I need to take everyday for my income. I get my excercise by taking safe hikes with my wife and kid and getting out from in front of the tv.
Kfell

Anonymous said...

Sports drinks are best before and/or after said event. I rarely drink them, but I will have a gatorade before a day of skiing sometimes. I virtually never drink them before biking, and beer generally follows both events. Beer is a highly underrated recovery beverage.

I like golf. I birdie every par 50 I see. It is by no means thrilling. Challenging? Yes. Tiring? Yes. Thrilling? No.

Slow out.

CaptiousNut said...

Steve,

So if a husband/father got his thrills from playing Russian Roulette....then his family ought to just accept it? They ought to just accept his decision to, what did you actually say, *EXPAND LIFE*?

Clearly there's a line somewhere where risk-taking becomes outright reckless.

So where is that line? And who draws it?

Well, on this blog that'd be moi.

Your *argument* is just a stream of emotion.

mrs. private caller said...

Is driving legally drunk crossing the line?

CaptiousNut said...

Mrs. PC,

Driving ACTUALLY drunk would indeed constitute reckless, selfish, over-the-line behavior on the part of a parent even if it twas their kids/wife who *drove* them to it!

Good Captious little dig though....someone's paying attention.