Monday, June 15, 2009

Best Turkey Burger, Ever



Above find 9 pounds of partially-mixed, soon-to-be grilled *Southwestern Turkey Burgers*.

If you like spicy, this is the burger for you. In fact, they are so spicy that I've had to take the jalapeños out.

Last year a marginal friend had us over and wowed us with them. I begged him for the recipe which he eventually sent. Turns out, they had the most un-manly of authors - RACHEL RAY!

I told the guy he should have never, EVER admitted to as much.

Me? I have masculinity to spare - and then some.

Southwestern Turkey Burgers
8 slices turkey bacon or turkey bacon with black pepper or applewood smoked bacon
1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast, the average weight of 1 package
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large shallot or 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional - parsley may be substituted
1/2 small bell pepper, green, red or yellow, seeded and finely chopped
1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons, 2/3 palm full, ground cumin
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne hot sauce, several drops (recommended: Tabasco)
2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
Vegetable oil or olive oil, for drizzling
1/2 pound deli sliced pepper jack cheese
4 crusty kaiser rolls, split
1 cup sweet red pepper relish, found on condiment aisle - pepper jelly may be substituted
Red leaf lettuce

Chop your garlic and veggies.

Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until crisp. Wipe excess grease from pan and return skillet to heat.

While bacon cooks, combine turkey meat, garlic, shallot or onion, thyme, cilantro or parsley, bell pepper, serrano or jalapeno pepper, cumin, hot pepper sauce, grill seasoning or salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 equal mounds then form meat into patties. Drizzle patties with vegetable oil to coat. Cook in skillet over medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Place sliced cheese over the patties in the last 2 minutes of cooking, use 1 or 2 slices for each patty, as you like.

Pile cooked cheeseburgers into buns. Spread sweet relish or jelly on bun tops and set red leaf lettuce into place, using the relish or jelly as glue. Top cheeseburgers with 2 slices of cooked, crisp bacon or turkey bacon and lettuce.

Now, I haven't even done the bacon, and I've skipped the jelly/relish and these burgers are already exploding with plenty of zest, pizzazz, and flava.

Y'all get the idea. Make them a couple of times and you'll be comfortable monkeying with the proportions. I know that most of you who fancy yourselves *real chefs* don't go by *measurements* - and I generally agree,....except when multiplying a recipe by 7.5!!!

I served them at my daughter's birthday party yesterday and they were a hit, again.

The great thing about turkey burgers is that they don't flare up the grill when cooked en masse. And they should cook a whole lot faster which is key when cooking for 40 adults and 30 kids on two tiny grills. Another plus is that women will actually eat them whereas they often shy away from hot dogs and other, more-marbled meat.

Though they are way too spicy for 'old coots'.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of turkeys, are you long the dollar? Deflation theory says it must go up. Plus, this bet has the added incentive of being monstrously contrarian.

LeMotJuste said...

Hi M,
I am a regular reader of your blog. I like your Quotes section very much. I want the same in my blog too. Could you please share with me what tool you use ?

west coast burger monger said...

Sweet! I know what my chick is cooking for dinner this weekend! Danka.

CaptiousNut said...

Anon,

Not trading these days. Just riding out my ETFs hoping to get a third of my losses back.

Never had much luck being a *contrarian* or making large macro bets. I have no opinion on the dollar. I think it could stay where it is and Treasuries could still tank; and commodities could still rise.

LeMot,

Send me an email and I will forward the HTML code. By the way, those quotes aren't random - I mined them from my readings. I have a couple of Google document files called *quotes* where I dump them. For some reason, I can only put a limited amount of quotes in the random generator. It is time for me to input another batch but I just haven't gotten around to it - among other things.

WCT,

Chicks CANNOT grill. I thought I blogged that topic before.

CaptiousNut said...

I absolutely love the pic I have here of the typical female bbq'er!