Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another "Red Dawn"



That's right. They are going to make an updated version of the classic Cold War film. Watch the trailer here.

From MovieWeb:

MGM is set to remake Red Dawn, the 1984 cold war action drama, with screenwriter Carl Ellsworth recrafting the ultimate homeland invasion story about a new generation of besieged high schoolers. Dan Bradley is set to direct.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ellsworth said "the tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in. As 'Red Dawn' scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hell out of people again?"




The original was one of my favorites. It should be noted that it wasn't the *movie* that scared people. More accurately, it was stuff like my 3rd grade teacher telling us that there was a 100% chance that the Soviet Union had a nuke aimed at our hometown of Worcester, Massachusetts that scared the heck out of people in 1984.

I didn't realize it at the time, as I was only 10, but that movie was considered *by the usual suspects* to be a propaganda film aimed at getting Ronald Reagan re-elected.

Expect similar complaints from similar people when the remake hits theaters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that movie as did most American boys born between 1970 and 1980 (of which we are both of course). I am not sure that they should remake it, but so it goes. Classic movie. Who didn't run around outside with toy guns yelling "WOLVERINES". I think the Wolverine was my favorite animal from that point forward (or at least until I was old enough not to have a favorite animal!). Sure it was propaganda, but it was damn entertaining. I bet it is available on PPV under free movies right now.

Slow out.

CaptiousNut said...

I always liked gerbils.