Wednesday, April 27, 2011

30% Off Nothing!


I just quit Groupon - the email coupon subscription service.

I had seen the commercials and heard raving praise and thus felt obligated to sign up. I kind of have to force myself to check out the *trends* so I don't miss the bounty of TNBT.

But this one stunk. It offers deals on over-priced garbage that I'd never even think about splurging on in the first place.

And in general that's what I've always thought of old-fashioned clipped coupons too.

I have my brands; I stick with them; and I load up when they're on sale.

6 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

I feel the same way about Groupon. The ones that ended it for me were the FREE! sushi coupons they kept sending me. Multiple times a day.

I do however use coupons regularly.

Big Mac said...

Agree 100%. 50% of an inflated spa service is not of any value to anyone if they look at it objectively.

I have opted out.

Justin Time said...

Groupon is just terrible all-around.

You gotta wonder about the lazy, ignorant and/or desperate business owners who use Groupon to market their goods and services. They give away the products for 25 cents on the dollar to bring in the cheapest of the cheap bargain-basement customers while Groupon walks with all the credit and 25% for doing next to nothing.

If I'm a business owner who is willing to give away product for 75% off regular price, I am thinking I can come up with a better marketing gimmick than using Groupon.

CaptiousNut said...

I saw Groupon advertising in major outlets and figured they must be doing something right to have that kind of cash.

But who knows - they could just be burning through venture capital to build up the *brand*.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of outlet malls to some extent. Raise the price 100% then offer 50% off. No thanks.

CaptiousNut said...

Walk around a mall or store...

Then just order it online for cheaper!