Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Color TV And The Voices In My Head


Remember Carol Anne from that terrific, classic motion picture - Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)?

I'll never forget when that clown popped out from under(?) the bed...

I was seated on a couch with several other kids (family friends) and horrified - we all simultaneously kicked over the two separate TV trays holding bowls of popcorn.

Anyways this post was meant to be about how absolutely grating television has become for me.

It's gotten to the point that whenever I walk by a blaring TV in a bar, airport, or just about anywhere else I essentially go into an apoplectic fit.

I don't know if this is similar to the *secondhand smoke* effect.

Ten years ago I could sit at a table with 8 guys smoking cancer sticks and not be bothered.

But now, since smoking is less prevalent....even a single cigarette from far away smells disgusting.

Though I think the analogy doesn't quite hold.

Last night, after turning the TV on briefly I realized why the mere sound of the TV tortures the sh*t out of me.

It's because it is actually an *interruption* - the color TV din interrupts the important, internal conversations going on between my ears!

I guess before, when I used to watch the boob tube, there wasn't sufficient brain activity to be irritated by frivolous intrusions???

BTW, there are several major things my wife and I have done to get our kids launched....but removing the poisonous, mind-rotting effect of television is right up there near the top of the list.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OT. Your thoughts on this site?
http://ca.ixl.com/

CaptiousNut said...

IXL math?

I have no experience with it.

But many people recommend it.

Although that could be because they pay a decent affiliate commission too. (not sure though)

Anonymous said...

who is your web host, your cyber-scholar site is slow as hell.

CaptiousNut said...

I noticed that too. According to host (DreamHost), they have a server problem at the moment.