Monday, November 07, 2011

A New Chili In My Arsenal


1 lb fresh chorizo (ground or removed from casings)
1 lb ground beef

3-4 onions, diced
2 green peppers, diced
6-10 cloves of garlic, diced

2 tablespoons jalapeno, finely chopped

roughly 32 oz tomato sauce
roughly 28 oz tomatoes (Mexican style like Rotel and/or fire-roasted style)

4 tablespoons cumin
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika

28 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
28 oz black beans, drained and rinsed

1-2 cups liquid (dark beer, beef broth, water or some combination thereof)

Simple Directions:

Brown the meat, add garlic, onions, peppers,...saute.

Add everything else but the beans, bring to a boil.

Add beans, simmer for 3-6 hours.

I got it started on the stove, then threw it all in a Crock-Pot (slow cooker) for several hours.

Obviously this is very easy - notwithstanding the onion tears - so you may as well make the big pot I've prescribed above.

It's not a gaseous chili either - for those of you who are easily activated.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I never thought to use chorizo... brilliant! I did throw chorizo in my jambalaya the other day, and it was the best I ever made.

CaptiousNut said...

There's Mexican chorizo and Spanish Chorizo.

I think the Mexican one is *less lean* - people said to *drain* if you use it.

Hah! NEVER DRAIN, EVER.

Sausage is supreme. My meat sauce is trending sausagier all the time.

In fact I just made that tonight.

Barilla thin spaghetti with my meat sauce and piles of pecorino romano = my favorite dish.