Sunday, September 04, 2011

Shedding Light On Dank Basements


We lose power in this house here....well, all the time. It's a real pain in the butt to put it mildly.

So it was an automatic that we were going to be without electricity last week from Irene, that Category ZERO *hurricane*.

But actually we didn't. I mean we had a utility pole in our backyard in flames for a couple hours and STILL the power kept flowing. Furthermore, all of our neighbors were cursing in the dark.

I started gloating on F-Book....and what do you know, after the storm was all but over, around 8pm on Sunday our power went out and stayed out for 24 hours or so.

My neighbors across the street weren't so lucky. Nearly 7 days after the storm hit they are still un-electrified!!!

In fact, the house just across from us had their basement flood. Apparently they had just spent *a ton of money* getting it totally refinished. I can imagine how much they spent seeing how they paid nearly $2 million for the house about 3 years ago. (High end, new construction probably shouldn't have water issues, right???)

The woman told me that the sump pump stopped working when the power went out. Go figure.

As my wife put it, the fact that they even HAD A SUMP PUMP ought to have warned them not to spend too much money down there in the first place.

This was only ammo for me too. My wife is eager to re-carpet and repaint our moldy basement (where all our computers and homeschooling work gets done) but I've been telling her that there's no way I want to do anything until I'm satisfied that our water problems down there are resolved.

My neighbor mournfully informed me that, "Insurance won't cover one bit of it..."

No comments: