Friday, August 25, 2006

The Trash is Your Friend



No. That is not an antique photograph. Those are 2 cans of spices that I recently found in a nameless family member's kitchen.

So how old are they?



That's right, the curry powder expired 27 years ago. Since things like spices have long shelf lives (!), I'll bet that it was purchased at least 30 years ago.

Those spices are indicative of what most people will find in their older friends'/family's homes. And every artifact I find rouses the memory of my clutter post.



Contrast 49 cent spice cans from the 1970s with what I just did. Pictured above is a 5.5 year old, 17 inch flatscreen Dell Trinitron monitor. I haven't used it in 2 years and it works fine. I saw it trading on ebay for around $40-$50. I tried to sell mine on Craigslist for only $20. I got nary a response. So I trolled Craigslist and saw people trying to sell similar monitors for $15. I had thought that I was giving it away for a mere $20.

Since I am a multi-thousandaire and value the space in my house more than $15, I posted a new ad the other day.

17 inch Dell Trinitron Monitor - FREE

I tried selling this for $20 a few months ago and got no responses. It is FREE now, you just have to pick it up - otherwise it's going in the trash this week.

I got no responses and watched it get thrown in the garbage truck this morning.

Somehow I don't think my (or your) older friends and relatives could have stomached doing such a thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gross Waster, You should have called up a church school who probably could have used it for younger kids. Why don't you ask me before you trash still-useful stuff ????

Do you believe the dates on those spice cans ???What wretch would risk poisoning their family with those out of date flavors ??? Anon Mom

CaptiousNut said...

See what I mean about the older people not being able to stomach discarding things of zero market value?

If "church schools" need monitors (which I doubt) there's an unending stream of cheap ones for sale on craigslist.com.