Saturday, July 27, 2013

Aloha, Golf Update


I played only one round of golf in Florida this winter - over 5 weeks!

And I've played only two rounds of golf here in New York in 2013 - warm-ups for my 5 day tournament down on the Jersey Shore....which I did play in back in early June.

But that's it!

No rounds at Eisenhower (get in line at 3am)....no rounds at Bethpage Black either.

I beat a ton of balls at the range in the spring, probably more than ever. My ballstriking is really getting better. But my short game is still, well, an *opportunity*. Screw that, it SUCKS.

The problem is that I still simply have no access to legitimate putting and chipping greens. This is New York. Country clubs cost $$$$$$. And no public courses have decent or available practice areas.

So I'm frustrated that I don't have the resources (time/money) to focus on my short game. But whatever, I can't complain too much. Ultimately I'm sure I'll figure out a way to overcome this obstacle - I always do. A putting green in my backyard??? A few neighbors have them. $5,000???

My wife is planning a trip to Hawaii, a family trip in the winter. She asked what kind of car we should rent and I said, "One of those Sebring convertibles or whatever everyone rents there..."

I said, "The only problem is that they are small and might not have enough room for our suitcases and my golf clubs."

But I was, of course, joking. I had no plans, not even any thoughts about playing golf over there. That's how fast golf is fading on my priority hierarchy.

However I married a fine woman. She declared that I was to bring my clubs (renting a minivan), and I was to play....no matter what the cost ($200-$300 per round).

So I just started Googling Big Island golf courses...

That's where those pics are from.

I still may skip the golf and override my wife. Probably get zinged for extra luggage to the tune of $150...plus the green fees.

We'll see.

The best thing about these trips is never the trips themselves. Getting there is always an anticlimactic bummer.

It's really the hype, the months of anticipation that make them worthwhile, sort of.



No comments: