Sunday, April 17, 2011

Most Ride Bikes Anyway


Hah!

From the article:


Women and gay men are likely to be the worst drivers, a new study has shown.


Psychologists at Queen Mary, University of London, who conducted the study, believe the findings mean driving in a strange environment would be more difficult for gay men and women than for straight male motorists.
Both tend to rely on local landmarks to get around, and are also slower to take in spatial information.


The computer-based tests were carried out on 140 volunteers, and demonstrated that gay men, straight women and lesbians navigated in a similar way, sharing the same weaknesses.

You know one of my older stock jokes touches on the idea that in the driving world, there is no racism, classism, or chauvinism. Poll a group of humans on who they think are the absolute worst drivers and the answers will span: men, women, teenagers, 'old coots', 'old bags', Asians, blacks, Hispanics, contractors, minivan moms, rich BMW weavers, or ghetto people with the seat bent back 150 degrees.

And I do agree with all of those answers!

Yesterday, and I don't know why - perhaps because I was just cut off by a Suburu Forester? - but I was wondering about the reputation of invert drivers...

All I had to do was Google and I found out right fast.

When I come to think about it....my urban-dwelling, perpetually-single male cousin has built up a bit of a *bad driving* reputation for himself. In fact he almost lost his license for repeated moving violations. YES he drives a hybrid. YES he's a bicycler too. Just saying...

No comments: