Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Tiger Woods - A Tim Ferriss Retort?


Story:
For the first time, Woods and trainer Keith Kleven offer detail and insight into a fitness regimen that has enabled the world's No. 1 player to add nearly 30 pounds of muscle since he left Stanford in 1996 after his sophomore year.

"Pound for pound, I put him with any athlete in the world," Kleven told the magazine.

The routine is built around stretching up to 40 minutes before each session, core exercises, endurance runs of 7 miles and speed runs of 3 miles, along with weight training. But while Woods is competitive on the golf course, he said he doesn't have an ego in the weight room.

"I've never, ever hurt myself lifting," Woods said. "I hear people say, 'I hurt this' or 'I hurt that.' I don't even know what that feels like. I've been sore, but I've always been able to function and do whatever I wanted to. ... Some people let their ego get in the way. You have to listen to your inner self. Your body knows when it can be pushed and when you just need to back off a little bit."

Woods opts for high repetitions and smaller weights, although Kleven said he is "off the charts" with how much he can lift.
Did you catch that? High reps and low weights...

Tim Ferriss preaches the opposite - higher weights with lower, intense rep counts.

I understand that so-called experts will say that Tiger is looking to build muscle and stamina whereas Ferriss is intent on increasing pure strength.

But I'm inclined to think one of them is wrong working out sub-optimally. And I'm guessing it's Tiger. Three hours lifting weights in the gym at a time? Ferriss only works 4 hours per week!

Of course it's easy to take shots at Tiger now with him in such a prolonged slump. For all the stretching, core work, and Pilates he does his swing certainly looks too stiff, too mechanical, almost like he lifted too many weights!

His hands are way too close to his body...

From his website, and I think I may have linked to this before, here's Tiger's insane, anti-Ferriss daily regimen:

6:30 a.m. - One hour of cardio. Choice between endurance runs, sprints or biking.

7:30 a.m. - One hour of lower weight training. 60-70 percent of normal lifting weight, high reps and multiple sets.

8:30 a.m. - High protein/low-fat breakfast. Typically includes egg-white omelet with vegetables.

9:00 a.m. - Two hours on the golf course. Hit on the range and work on swing.

11:00 a.m. - Practice putting for 30 minutes to an hour.

Noon - Play nine holes.

1:30 p.m. - High protein/low-fat lunch. Typically includes grilled chicken or fish, salad and vegetables.

2:00 p.m. - Three-to-four hours on the golf course. Work on swing, short game and occasionally play another nine holes.

6:30 p.m. - 30 minutes of upper weight training. High reps.

7:00 p.m. - Dinner and rest.

So with such a rigorous schedule, how exactly did he find time to destroy his marriage?

Must have been it at *Noon*...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's VO2 Max is higher? I would guess it's Tiger's.

CaptiousNut said...

Alright you made me google that:

VO2 Max - the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and use oxygen during incremental exercise, which reflects the physical fitness of the individual.

Tough to compare these guys which I know this post is guilty of. One is a highly specialized pro athlete the other is very well-rounded.

Ferriss didn't talk at all about *flexibility* in his monstrous book. The guy doesn't even like *warming up*. A headscratcher for sure.