Monday, January 16, 2012

How Many Of Them Are There Out There?


This comment just came in on Peter Gray's blog post - Why Children Protest Going To School - More Evolutionary Mismatch:


I am currently 17 years old, have always hated school. I started reading about homeschooling and unschooling some time ago and was absolutely in love with the concept. Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to leave school. Every single day at school is painful and I have to endure a year and a half more of that. It might not seem like much to some, but to me it is. I can't leave school for two reasons - it's not so easy to do in my country and my parents are saying I have to finish school, no matter if it makes me sick. I don't have the strength to. I was recently diagnosed with depression and put on Prozac - it's not entirely school's fault, but I'd say it mostly is.


Yes, some kids don't mind school. But must people like me get their education at the expense of our mental health?

Let's hope this youngster hasn't been so messed up by their *sentence*....that they don't commit suicide (or homicide!)....and that they haven't been irreparably damaged.

No comments: