Thursday, May 10, 2012

I'm A Deadly Shot!


My son joined a homeschool archery league a couple months ago.  With his fees one parent was entitled to a lesson and shooting session.  So today I was up...

Yeah, and it was my FIRST TIME ever shooting a bow and arrow!

It's just like golf: take a deep breath, sight the target, use big muscles, posture(!), smooth release, have a   repeatable ritual, etc.

Archery is definitely a *cool* hobby.  If I wasn't so overloaded right now I'd be tempted to start getting into it.

We go to an indoor range near the middle of *The Island*.  What an operation they got there!  Who knew that archery was a money-maker.  It's usually $15 to *shoot all day*.  But there are hordes of enthusiasts that spend a ton of time and $$$ there.  Why?   Well, apparently it's illegal to shoot a bow and arrow in your backyard - at least in New York.

There's probably a little boom in the archery biz right now on account of The Hunger Games too.

(See none of y'all can do math....the shooting distance was an impressive 4,572mm.)

2 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

I have a tendency to jerk more at those short ranges.

I once shot a squirrel running on the ground at forty yards.

CaptiousNut said...

So you're an archer, too?

That's what the guy said to me, that my arrows weren't straight because I wasn't releasing smoothly.

One dude down the range split an arrow. I thought that good archers could do it when they wanted but was told that it was pretty rare. Seems like *eagles* for golfers in that sense. They hung it up on a gallery on the wall.

I hear all these libertarian survivalists on the web talking about subsisting on squirrel meat when the apocalypse hits.

So how did it taste?