Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Externalities Of Government Schools



So my son recently went to a week of summer camp at this fancy private school here on Boston's South Shore. The campus was pretty stinkin' nice and there were seemingly more camp counselors than campers!

It was $350 for five 5-hour days, which works out to $14 an hour. So while the camp wasn't outrageously priced, it was definitely costlier than all the other local 'rec' camps.

Knowing next to nothing about this attractive school I just checked out their website and was hit with this eye-popping, jaw-dropper:

Tuition is $31,650 for the 2009 - 2010 school year and includes all educational expenses, a full hot lunch, and participation in extracurricular activities such as athletics, arts, and student clubs and organizations.

31k per year????

It doesn't look like a boarding school either.

Having not paid much attention the past several years to the private school tuition market, I may just have fallen out of touch. Or, I may be a whole lot poorer than I ever thought!

However, one thing is clear - I certainly wish I was on the other side of that financial transacation!

So how in God's name can private schools charge so much these days?

Well, consider their laughable competition; reread the title of this post.

No comments: