Monday, August 10, 2009

Good At Math?



Click graphic to enlarge.

These are the individual ARML questions for this past June. It looks like they went from 8 to 10 questions this year. Contestants, on regional teams, from all over North America have 10 minutes for each pair of questions. I competed in this when I was in high school and did quite well if I do say so myself!

Periodically, when I have time, I check out what the little math geniuses are doing these days; I print out the questions and tackle them to test the rustiness of my brain.

Turns out, though it's been approaching twenty years since I last competed, I can still do them just as well as I used to. That's because I learned the math fundamentally; I proved everything I ever used, e.g. Stewart's Theorem, trig formulas, etc.

On a slightly lower level....

Click here for a cool math problem.

You don't need to actually solve it. Just run the simulator with *10 milliseconds* as the parameter.

3 comments:

west coast tom. said...

post the answers so I can pass them off as my own at work.

west coast tom. said...

I'm still waiting for the answers...

CaptiousNut said...

Gave up, huh?

Answers and solutions here.