Friday, June 24, 2011

It Just Makes The Rest Of Us Men - LOOK BAD

This video is blowing up on YouTube over the past month. Read the description first:

My girlfriend Ginny gets taken to the movie theater to see "Fast Five". After a preview for the Hangover 2, a trailer for a movie comes on. A trailer I made of her father and I where I ask her father for her hand in marriage. After he gives me permission, I race off to the theater she is at to ask her to marry me.

What she doesn't know is our familiy and friends are in the theater with her watching the whole thing, along with about 100 strangers ;-)


My wife watched that last night on her iPad (Facebook link from commiserating broads, of course) and not long after complained to me that she hadn't been bought flowers in a while and was due!

WTBleep....her birthday is 4 weeks away.

It's not *the movies* this clip is making jealous...

2 comments:

Anne Galivan said...

I learned a long time ago that over-the-top marriage proposals are meaningless.

I have a close friend whose first husband proposed to her this way: they were playing putt-putt golf and the place had a policy that if you made a hole-in-one they would announce it over the PA system. Well, her boyfriend (at the time) made a hole-in-one and he asked the proprietor, when he announced it, to also ask my friend if she would marry him (the boyfriend not the proprietor!) Well she said yes and they were married. It sounded very romantic to me at the time.

Five years later they divorced after he was unfaithful to her. On the other hand, my husband proposed to me in an incredibly non-romantic way yet almost thirty years later we are still married.

Fortunately for my friend, a few years later she married a great guy she is very happy with.

But the idea that making a big hullabaloo over a marriage proposal actually means anything is ridiculous. And maybe sets up a dangerous precedent?

CaptiousNut said...

Heck the entire, pervasive *romance industry* sets unrealistic expectations!

My buddy and I, being sagacious beyond our years, realized by sophomore year of college that the way to attract a girl ("broad") was to blow her off initially, and for a lengthy period.

It was seriously our deliberate policy. Espy a young lass that was decent looking? Well we'd willfully not pay any attention to her. And if this girl that we were interested in initiated a conversation or anything....totally blow her off, almost to the point of rudeness, as a solid investment for future cuddling(?).

My first wife stalked me for 2 years before I broke down and succumbed to *good sense*.

And now, years later, if I occasionally buy her a third of a dozen roses she gets excited!

Hey, at least I learned SOMETHING in college, Anne!