Monday, April 06, 2009

Massachusetts - The Dumbest State, QED



From US Highway Deaths At Lowest Levels Since 1961:

Seat belt use in 2008 climbed to 83 percent, a record. Fourteen states and the nation's capital had rates of 90 percent or better. Michigan had the highest seat belt use rate with 97.2 percent, followed by Hawaii with 97 percent and Washington state at 96.5 percent. Massachusetts had the lowest rate, 66.8 percent, while it was under 70 percent in New Hampshire and Wyoming.

I'm telling you - from being the only state to opt for McGovern in 1972:



To an astounding super-majority voting TO TAX THEMSELVES:



And now to this list we'll add being the least seat-belted state in the country!

The biggest threat to our lives and our family's lives remains on the roadways. You just have to be an absolute Moron not to buckle up.

I could be wrong, but I suspect it's mostly 'old coots' and 'old bags' that refuse to utilize seat-belts (and we have a boatload of them!). They complain that belts are *too uncomfortable*. I don't know about the rest of y'all, but when I'm not fastened in I feel pretty darn uncomfortable.

See Massachusetts - More Morons Than Your State and also my old yet oft-visited post Marginalizing Bad Drivers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Update from NH...Concord is looking to make seat belts mandatory. I wear my seatbelt but that is my right and i don't need nanny state laws to convince me it is a good idea. The nannies say its a safety issue but the $3.7million of federal funds that NH bypasses by not having a law is much more compelling to the big government types. That is $3 dollars per person that our state officials are willing to accept to take another liberty away.

On a side note, I was in your neck of the woods this weekend to catch the Moe show at the house of blues. On the way down, we hit exit 4 on 93 to pick up a friend. My buddy driving was following a ma$$hole and got in the breakdown lane before the exit. Next thing we know, some storm trooper in knee high boots is behind us in an unmark cruiser. My NH friend says to me, my driving record is clean and this was an honest mistake. I shook my head and explained to him about the $3 billion dollar deficit facing the Bay state. After the Nazi gave him a $100 dollar ticket, he agreed your state needs to be firebombed...NICE REVENUE GRAB!!
Kfell

CaptiousNut said...

Yeah, I always felt that fine should be higher....

Seat belts shouldn't be the law. However, insurance companies should be able to refuse ALL medical claims from unbelted, hurt passengers.

Anonymous said...

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2009/04/boston-office-vacancy-rate-rises.html

Anonymous said...

On a side note...

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-industry-facts-personal-debt-statistics-1276.php

How does Citi lose $530 million on their credit cards in 2008?

Profits or Losses at Top 10 U.S. Credit Card Issuers in 2008
1. Chase: $780 million profit
2. Bank of America: $520 million profit
3. Citi: $530 million loss
4. American Express: $850 million profit
5. Capital One: $1.00 billion profit
6. Discover: $710 million profit
7. Wells Fargo: $990 million profit
8. HSBC: $520 million profit
9. US Bank: $1.07 billion profit
10. USAA: Not listed

Kfell

RamtaJogi said...

No updates on trades?

RJ

CaptiousNut said...

No trades!

In a holding period here. Too short to add, too bearish to cover.

Went through this not long ago. Got wrecked in late December with SRS and SKF. Went to Florida for January and didn't really even look at the market. A month later I was made whole again.

Though not so optimistic here. I'd be happy to get back half of my recent losses.

CaptiousNut said...

Kfell,

Citi is more incompetent at underwriting....and a more incompetent *liar*.