Thursday, April 23, 2009

Woe Is Knee



Last year the Boston Celtics traded away their future - budding star Al Jefferson - for an aging, and overpriced Kevin Garnett ($20 million per season). I thought it was a mistake. At best the Celts, IMO, were going to have a year or two of good ball, then watch Al Jefferson play 12 great years in Minnesota.

While last year, the Green did win the title.... A couple of months ago, KG blew his knee out.

Then last week, one of Garnett's back-ups, Leon Powe blew his knee out.

And, ironically, Al Jefferson torn his ACL this winter as well.

Not long ago, no pro athletes recovered from ACL tears. Nowadays, they seemingly all make comebacks. Why is that? Well, I believe the surgery has gotten less invasive. Also, a PT in Brooklyn told me that these athletes suck down an unhealthy amount out anti-inflammatories to expedite the recovery. Who really knows?

But seldom do these gladiators come back at full strength? Remember Penny Hardaway? Or Terrell Davis?

Although I consider *sports* an over-hyped religion, it's nonetheless somewhat tragic when one of these guys essentially has their life's work pulled out from under them with a knee injury.

By the way, five years ago I had my right knee reconstructed. I went with the *graft* - I think they call it. My new ACL came from a cadaver. The doctor said *they messed up*. The sent him an ACL from a black guy who was 6 feet 7 inches or so; I'm only 5'10.5. Regardless, the orthopedic surgeon jammed the ACL in my leg and ended up stapling the *extra* ligament.

On the plus side, after my rehab, with my ebonic bionic knee I can now dunk AND dance more rhythmically....

On the weird side, for the past five years I've had an insatiable hunger for orange soda.

9 comments:

Taylor Conant said...

C,

Let's just hope you don't end up hooked on purple drank at some point...

CaptiousNut said...

What's that?

Better than gin-n-juice?

Anonymous said...

I am not sure KG blew out his knee in the single painful incident sense? I think it is worse-he is just breaking down. He has played over 1000 games in his career at this point. The downfall of going pro at 18 I guess-you peak and decline at a younger age. Was it worth it for 1 championship?

IMHO-yes.

Wonder how long LeBron will play for? And Kobe? Kobe will probably last longer because is lighter.

Slow out.

Slow out.

CaptiousNut said...

In 1988 or so, I belive the Red Sox were offered Tom Glavine for AL Batting king Wade Boggs.

Unfortunately they declined the trade.

So for another year or so of *walks and opposite field doubles* the Sox forfeited 10-15 years of premiere starting pitching.

Could probably throw out the names Mike Boddicker and Larry Anderson here too.

Taylor Conant said...

C,

Try "googling" or looking it up in Wikipedia. Haven't you ever heard of those things, old coot?

(palms forehead) man... so old and yet so much to learn...

CaptiousNut said...

Hah!

Thought it was just Kook-Aid or something.

purple drankPurple drank is a slang term for a recreational drug popular in the hip-hop community of the southern United States. Its main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.[1] Cough syrup is typically mixed with ingredients such as Sprite soft drink and pieces of Jolly Rancher candy. The purplish hue of purple drank comes from dyes in the cough syrup.Thanks for edifying me, Taylor!

Where would I be otherwise?

Funny Circus Bears said...

Too bad the afro acl did nothing for your other "shortcoming".

BTW, "tragic" is having a child die in your arms, not a fixable knee injury after making hundreds of millions.

CaptiousNut said...

Indeed.

Indeed. (I said *somewhat*.)

Anonymous said...

For someone who claims to dislike red sox nation, you seem to be up on their history. Are you a closet red sox lover? I know i saw you on the Tobin looking to leap when they were 3-6...