Monday, July 26, 2010

Homeschool Golf?


The First Tee Program is some subsidized/charitable initiative to get more kids (underprivileged?) playing golf.  I had mistakenly thought it was Tiger Woods' *baby* (no jokes!), but I think it has a wider corporate backing.

Anyways, someone who works for the program told me that he sees LOTS of homeschoolers in attendance.  And, surprisingly, well represented among that group are more than a few wealth African-American kids.  Who knew that demographic homeschooled?  Again, one would be hard-pressed to generalize the outliers who've undertaken the responsibility to educate their own.

It looks like there's a chapter of First Tee nearby me now at Eisenhower Golf Course - a decent track that the Seniors have actually played tournaments at.  As a serious golfer myself, the thought of paying someone to teach my kids how to play is not even a remote possibility.

HOWEVER, if my brood can get some good, elusive interaction with other homeschoolers I'll have to reconsider my hard stance.

No comments: