Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Against The Grain



Within my immediate circle of friends and family, my wife and I know only but one, perhaps two other couples that rent instead of own their abode. And this one couple only rents because they live in NY and the market ran away from their budget. (Remember, when you mortgage a house you are still renting - renting money from the bank.)

I am quite sure that none of these people cook or eats-in as much as we do.

And I just realized that within this same group, Mrs. C-Nut and I are absolutely the only ones that drive *clunkers*.

The blue book value of my 1997 Suburban has got to be less than $1,000. That's what? Three monthly car payments for most people?

I am having a hard time finding things to cut back on in this financial Armageddon. I am open to suggestions.

What I really need is a new revenue stream...

5 comments:

Slow-Rion said...

But do you actually need to cut back? If not, then simply don't add to the bills. Thats my situation for the moment.

We have to move soon. That means we have to sell. The market has been solid in our neighborhood so I am hoping to break even. We'll see. Not too many suitable rentals near us and not too many suitable houses either.

No car payments is a wonderful thing.

I have a hard time seeing you in a Subie. I mean that's a car for people that like cold weather. Your a bit of a weather wuss.

Anonymous said...

I've got an idea to increase your revenue stream - I'll put it in an email after the market closes tomorrow. No, it does not involve rainbow bumpstickers or anything like that.

CaptiousNut said...

Two weeks ago, before the market went poof, I was broke.

As it stands at the moment, no, I don't *need* to cut back. Back on track to save 20-30% of income this year.

WCT,

How about this - you address my *revenue stream* by sending me a personal check?

Taylor Conant said...

From the fact that you're driving an old beater, I assume you've already read "The Millionaire Next Door" and have thoroughly perused it for additional ideas on how to be a cheap sh*t and get rich while doing so.

That was going to be my reccomendation, anyhow, but now that I think about it, you probably recommended that book to me in the first place. Memory isn't my strong suit these days, that's why I put my faith in a consistent and honest man like Hank Paulson.

CaptiousNut said...

Yeah I read it and I might very well have recommended The Millionaire Next Door to you.

Hank's a *well-intentioned* public servant - good choice!