Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Full-Day Kindergarten, Why?



I could be wrong, but I remembered going to *half-day* kindergarten when I was a kid through January; and then *full-day* for the second half.

Today the subject came up while I was chatting with some local parents. Here's what one said:

LocalMom - Kindergarten is half-day here. If you want them to go full-day you have to pay $2,000. I wouldn't do it because all they do for the additional time is: lunch, nap-time, and then out to recess. Occasionally they will do a craft but nothing at all academic....And of course they don't do anything academic in the morning either.

Haha.

I say to parents, "Beware of the arts and crafts". From my vantage point the daily glued construction paper is merely a feint to make the parents think something PRODUCTIVE actually transpires after the drop-off.

Of course, many derelict, malpracticing parents appreciate the gesture.

From John Taylor Gatto,

If you can keep your kid out of any part of the school sequence at all, keep him or her out of kindergarten, then first, second, and maybe third grade. Homeschool them at least that far through the zone where most of the damage is done. If you can manage that, they’ll be okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calvin : " Today for Show and Tell I've bought a tiny marvel of nature: A single snowflake.
"I think we might all learn a lesson from how this utterly unique and exquisite crystal..
"Turns into an ordinary boring molecule of water just like every other one, when you bring it in the classroom.
"And now, while the ANALOGY sinks in, I'll be leaving you drips and going outside."

CaptiousNut said...

Now that's not PRODUCTIVE, either!