Saturday, October 04, 2008

Jingle Exorcism



One thing I WILL NOT DO is watch or listen to my kids' shows and songs. Next thing you know, you're singing Dora the Explorer in the shower!

Plus those shows and tunes erode your IQ.

Last night I got in big trouble. My wife was whistling something and then went ballistic. She got in my face and tried to blow it out - "DO YOU KNOW WHAT SONG THAT IS???!!!"

I couldn't decipher it.

It was supposed to be "I Touch Myself" and the *earworm* was all my fault. Remember I made that song my ringback AND ringtone back in January. For months Mrs. C-Nut has been threatening to "kill me" if I didn't get rid of that "(bleeping) song!" Just think how many times she's had to endure the Divinyls whilst waiting for me to answer my cell over the past 9 months.

Everyone occasionally gets songs stuck in their head. Some nerd PhD has actually researched it. Back in 2003, he came up with a list of the most stuck-in-the-head songs of young adults. Here were his results:

1) Other. Everyone has his or her own worst earworm.
2) Chili' s "Baby Back Ribs" jingle.
3) "Who Let the Dogs Out"
4) "We Will Rock You"
5) Kit-Kat candy-bar jingle ("Gimme a Break ...")
6) "Mission Impossible" theme
7) "YMCA"
8) "Whoomp, There It Is"
9) "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
10) "It's a Small World After All"



Twice George Constanza (of Seinfeld) had songs stuck in HIS head. One was Master of the House from Les Miserables. Can you guess the other one?

Answer here.

No comments: