Thursday, May 07, 2009

Trades - May 7th, 2009




I'm trying to not look at my brokerage account these days; in fact, I'm trying to not even look at the market AT ALL. I'm down big at the moment and hopefully have the capital to ride out the pain. Plus, I figure if those sheeple mutual fund investors can *not look* at their statements, then why can't I, right?

The other day I dumped my palladium at $226.00 or so. That I bought around $390.00 last year. This trade was made reluctantly to free up some funds in my futures account. Watch that thing skyrocket to $1,000 now!

I dumped my ultrashort long-term Treasury position at I think 49.75. This was a good sized position and I figure if TBT runs 20 points, I should do okay with my SRS and FAZ *investments*. Ideally I'd hold it but I needed to take dough some off the table. Hopefully, I'll be able to re-enter TBT at decent prices in the future.

And I did add to FAZ yesterday at 5.26 or so. My break-even must be around $14 now.

I also dumped my small DELL position this week (sold at 12.20?). That was a profitable trade I initiated in the fall/winter. Again, I'd look up and relay the precise details, but that would entail logging into my account and seeing the ugly balance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fed inspector general admits she has no idea what the Fed is doing...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/06/fed-inspector-general-kno_n_197934.html

Kfell

Anonymous said...

Did you see the PAL results? Their mine is still on care and maintenance. Hard to believe the stock is close to $3. Palladium is a commodity, gold is money. Money gains in deflation. Please examine the respective charts.

As for platinum, it is scarcer than most realize and it is also concentrated in South Africa, a nation that recently revealed it has serious electrical supply infrastructure problems.

CaptiousNut said...

I am not a fan of mining companies. I've lost too much money in them over my career. Jim Rogers asserts that sector is the worst-performing in the history of the stock market.

That being said, sometimes you have to buy them to get some, albeit imperfect, exposure to the undelying commodities.

I dumped my palladium but still own a little SWC and an insignificant amount of PAL. Will look closer that the latter if I get a chance. Thanks.