Sunday, August 29, 2010

Homeschool Nazis!


I came home from the Hamptons tonight to find a letter from the Manhasset School District...

They REJECTED my IHIP - that's essentially the homeschooling plan I submitted for Prince C-Nut.

They say they want more detail from specific text books that I am going to employ.

I believe the law is that I have to provide a list of texts OR a generic *plan of instruction*.

They might be breaking my balls; or they just might not be acquainted with the laws. (Or, I might be mistaken as well.)

Paul Mitchell gets his wish!

See the comments of - Homeschooling - Required Paperwork.

Now, after a few deep breaths, I have to figure out the tone of my response.

I could surely list a couple of textbooks for them....but I don't want to set any precedent for the future. I want to do the minimum.

And if they insist on breaking my stones....I'm going to retaliate in my customary fashion - *over the top*.

You know, one of the nicest compliments I ever received came years ago from my obese cousin.

He said, "If you shoot a BB at (C-Nut)....he returns fire with a nuke!"

6 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

I am certainly looking forward to this one. Of course, I suggest that you respond in a flat out crazy manner.

You gotta show 'em who's the boss.

NYCitymomx3 said...

Hmm. I saw you worked from the IHIP on my blog. I've never heard of it being rejected. Did you leave anything out? I'll help if you like.

Angela

NYCitymomx3 said...

One more thing.. Yes you're right about it being a plan OR a list of books. They are overstepping boundaries here. They usually do this to new homeschoolers. I would send them back a copy of the regulations with that specific part highlighted.

CaptiousNut said...

NYCitymomx3,

You know, I talked to a woman two towns over who used your template and her town's response was:

"Great. You're all set. Have a good summer!"

To be precise, the law reads:

a list of syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or a plan of instruction to be used in each of the required subjects listed in subdivision (e) of this section;

There is something you could do to help me and I will email you on the side. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Typical New York (Police) State. I dont know why anyone puts up with it. I hope I dont have to move there!

CaptiousNut said...

We'll see what happens.

I just *pushed back* on the bureaucrat.

We'll see if she wants to go a couple of rounds.

My first email was *nice*; the second one will be of a different tone.