Monday, March 15, 2010

My First Flood!





Well, it's sort of...

Personally, my life here isn't underwater to any great extent - though my basement water level is getting dangerously close to the pilot light of my water heater.

But as you can see by the pics, many parts of greater Boston are brimming.





I mean it when I say this is my *first flood*. The 10+ inches of rain the past 3 days represent the closest I've ever been to any type of natural disaster, I think.

We here in the Northeast have always felt left out. It seems like we're the only part of the country that doesn't regularly suffer tornadoes, hurricanes, mud slides, earthquakes, floods, or forest fires!

2 comments:

Orion said...

The northeast is supposedly the geographically safest place in the country to be. In fact, the dead center safest place to be is Mansfield, CT. Not so far from you or me.

I can't remember where I read this. But it is the price we pay for crappy weather. Too much rain in the winter, too much rain the summer, too hot, too cold, yada, yada, yada.

CaptiousNut said...

Orion,

Maybe it's because I've lived further south a lot (Philly '92-'01, NYC '01-'04, NC '04-'05)...

But I don't feel like it's hot up here in New England, ever anymore. I feel like I barely even use my AC.

There may be another price. It's probably the case that all the *more beautiful* places are subject to occasional disaster. So we suffer the perpetual ugliness, like you say.